Frequently Asked Questions
1) What grades do you serve? – BASCOL serves children in grades K through 6.
2) What are your rates? – BASCOL rates vary depending upon your schedule and the school district your child attends. Rates can be found in the BASCOL parent handbook of your school district, by calling the BASCOL office at 315-622-4815 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) Is there any financial assistance available? – BASCOL is a not-for-profit organization and operates solely on tuition paid by parents. We do accept Department of Social Services (DSS) subsidy once a parent is authorized through them. You can contact Onondaga County DSS at 315-435-5683 and Oswego County DSS at 315-963-5021. The Workforce Development Institute offers Child Care Subsidy for families who do not meet DSS income guidelines click here for more info https://wdiny.org/Explore-Our-Work/Child-Care-Subsidy-Program. Child Care Solutions also offers a Community Child Care Scholarship through the United Way click here for more information. https://childcaresolutionscny.org/scholarships-other-income-based-assistance.
4) What is your registration process?
- Call the BASCOL office at 315-622-4815 first to see if we have openings at your location.
- Complete a registration packet for school year and/or summer session that you would need.
- Bring your registration in person to the BASCOL Administrative Office located at 4610 Wetzel Road in Liverpool.
- A registration fee and deposit are due at the time of registration.
At registration, you will receive a parent handbook and a parent orientation.
5)When can I start? You can usually start within 5-10 business days after registering and when all required paperwork is complete. Occasionally, some locations have a wait list and it may take longer before we are able to accommodate adding more children.
6)Why is there a wait list and how long will I be on it? BASCOL is licensed by the NYS Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS). Regulations require that we maintain a ratio of 1 staff to 10 children. Some sites have a wait list as we wait for new staff to be cleared through OCFS’s new background check process which includes:a National Criminal Record Check with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Statewide Central Register (SCR) Database check, Staff Exclusion (SEL) Check with the Criminal Justice Center, approved fingerprinting results, a search of the NYS Sex Offender Registry and a completed Criminal Conviction Statement. Also, 2 satisfactory reference checks and an approved completed medical statement and mantoux (TB) testing results are required. This process takes several weeks. If you would like more information on the new process, please contact us. Thank you for your patience while we await the clearance for our new hires.
If you would like to make a comment regarding the new regulations on the Federal Decision Making Public Comment Page for Improving Access to Affordable, High Quality Child Care, click the link here https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=ACF-2019-0005 and let us know. Thank you for your support!
7) What are your staff qualifications? – All site personnel are subject to rigorous background checks which include a criminal history review, fingerprinting, and New York State Clearance through the Office of Children and Family Services.
- Site Director Qualifications – Two years' experience working directly with school age children, one or more years' experience in a supervisory capacity, and a bachelor's degree or 18 college credits in a child-related field, as well as medication administration trained, CPR, and first aid certified.
- Teacher Qualifications – Experience working directly with school age children and a high school diploma or equivalent as well as CPR and first aid certified.
8) What does BASCOL serve for snacks? – BASCOL serves a variety of nutritious snacks including, cereal, bagels, yogurt, fresh fruit, pretzels, cheese and crackers, animal crackers, veggies, milk, juice, and water. A menu is posted at the site on the parent bulletin board.
9) What do the kids do at BASCOL? – Children are offered a variety of choices such as creative art, fine motor, dramatic play, science & discovery, cooperative group games, social experiences, and physical activity. Each week, themed activities are planned in our Core Program Areas.
10) Are you open for snow days and school vacations? – Yes, BASCOL is open for snow days and vacation days from 6:30 AM until 6:00 PM at the combined full day locations.
11) Do you have a summer program? – Yes, we do run a summer program. Click here for more information.
12) Do you offer any field trips? – Yes, BASCOL does plan field trips during the school year on scheduled days off and during our summer program. Field trips are optional and have to be signed up for ahead of time. Some of the field trips in the past have included: Flamingo Bowling in Liverpool, Abbott’s Farm in Baldwinsville to go apple picking, the MOST in Syracuse, Ice Skating, and Thunder Island Water Park in Fulton.
13) What if my child has special health care needs? – We would have you discuss your child’s needs with a program manager and complete a health care plan. There may be additional paperwork required. For example: MAT forms.
14) Can your program administer medication? - Yes, BASCOL staff are trained to administer medication. There is additional paperwork that will need to be completed by your doctor and yourself. See the written medication consent form.
Please complete the following form, and we will get back to you within a couple of business days.